Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dubai day # 1


So we've survived day #1 here, and things have been beautiful so far. We took off yesterday morning, and walked downtown and hopped on the metro to Union Square. Union Square is about a 15 minute walk to the creek, and so we got to the creek and walked around for a bit and then took a water taxi across for only 1 dh, which is like 35 cents Canadian. That took us to a market, where we did a bit of shopping, and I purchased a few scarves and what not. We also bought some food at the market, the place was full of dead flies, but the food sure was yummy. ( I thought you'd enjoy that mom). Shopping over here is different, lots of bargaining but the guys you're buying from still know how to get your money. I guess I need to learn to be willing to walk away from what they're selling, in order to get a good deal. After the market we took the metro home, after walking for over an hour to find it. Oops, i guess next time we'll bring a map. We did a bit more planning of other things we wanted to see while we are here, and then went down to watch Devon's dad and grandpa get a haircut from some locals. Her grandparents are here while we are, and have added a little flavour to the trip. We all went out to dinner last night to this place called the Eat and Drink, and her Grandpa paid for all of us, so they've been super nice to us. Don't worry - I tried to pay. And their Grandma always has an opinion on everything, but it's hilarious. The one thing that I've noticed over here is that you never just see women out and about. At dinner, of course we were the only ones, and even at the markets, it's all guys. The food over here has been really good so far. They have fruit drinks that are ridiculously good, and then this thing called a shwarma, which is like the burger of the middle east....it's delightful. For today we are planning on heading to the beach in the next little bit, and then it's off to dragonmart - which is the kilometer long chinese mall of crap. I'm excited! Hopefully I don't break the bank, but I'm going to do as mom said, and "buy a lot of stuff". I brought an extra suitcase over here for a reason. If anyone has a request for me to buy something - let me know! I can buy scarves over here for 10dh which is only $3, and freshwater pearls for only $10. I'll keep ya posted on our adventures!

2 comments:

amysteed on January 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM said...

love the updates. keep them coming.

Melissa on January 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM said...

I second Amy. Sounds awesome already.

Post a Comment